Pros and cons of the Duodenal Switch
The duodenal switch is a bariatric surgery technique for weight loss. It is not as common as other procedures such as the gastric bypass or the gastric sleeve, but he results are among the most succesful, specially when performed by an experienced bariatric surgeon.
How different is the Duodenal Switch from other bariatric procedures?
With Duodenal Switch surgery the junction betwen the stomach and the intestine remains as it was before. The reason for it is that the cut to remove partof the stomach is done vertically rather than horizontally.
In Mexicali Bariatric Center we are proud to introduce Dr. Gilberto Ungson, the country’s leading surgeon for this technique. Weight loss surgery in Mexico is both safe and affordable for thousands of American and Canadians patients looking to improve their lives.
- Patients achieve greater weight loss, usually over than 80% of excess weight
- The production of the ghrelin hormone which controls hunger is eliminated.
- Maintains the pylorus and therefore the natural functioning of the stomach, thus avoiding rapid emptying which is a cause of the phenomenon of dumping.
- It reduces or disappears diseases associated with obesity like hypertension, diabetes, joint disease, sleep apnea, among others.
- It allows a good quality of life.
- This is a more complex technique performed laparoscopically, so it is less used by the majority of bariatric surgeons. Only highly skilled surgeons perform the duodenal switch.
- Certain vitamins (A, D, E, K) and minerals such as iron and calcium may be absorbed poorly. This means that patients have to take supplements for life as well as perform regular blood tests.
- Symptoms such as bloating, cramping, nausea and explosive diarrhea, as well as sweating, restlessness, weakness, flushing, palpitations, and an intense desire to stretch may occur.
- Gallstone formation. Sometimes the gallbladder is removed during surgery for obesity to avoid this possibility.
Is the duodenal switch is right for me?
Given the particular nature of this procedure, not all patients are candidates for access duodenal switch surgery candidates. Duodenal switch in Mexico is only performed by board certified surgeons.
Contact us today and see if the duodenal switch is the most appropriate procedure for you bariatric surgery. For more information on bariatric surgery in Mexico visit us at mexicalibariatriccenter.com or call us toll free at 1 888 344 3916. Our surgeons and obesity specialists at Mexicali Bariatric Center are ready to answer your questions about bariatric surgery and our experience with duodenal switch procedure.